Do you love writing? If you’ve always considered of being the next Stephen King or Mark Twain, or if you just wish to write better essays and assignments at your school or college, it’s time now to pay attention to improve your writing skills.
It’s a Never-ending Process
It takes consistent hard work and patience to become an awesome writer. Whether you wish to become a blogger, an academic writer or a storyteller, you need to be in the improvisation process and keep on learning. Only this way you can polish your writing skills and can earn a place on the list of prolific writers.
We’ve gathered here some of the ways that can surely help you improve your overall writing skills and help you become a better writer.
- Read, Read and ReadOne of the foolproof ways to becoming a creative writer is to read a lot. We know, this may sound obvious, but it has to be said. We would suggest you read some great writers as it will help you find a venue for your voice. Besides focusing on the content, also make sure to pay close attention to the style of writing and the approaches used by the writer.
- Write a lotAlongside reading, it’s also important to write a lot. Keep in mind; if you wish to be a great writer, you need to write every day or even twice or thrice a day if possible. Practice makes man perfect. One of the best ways to practice your skills is to maintain a personal diary. Start by writing stuff for yourself and then offer your services as a freelance blog writer. You can even start your own blog to establish your audience and can even monetize it later on to make a decent earning.
- Put Down IdeasAlways keep a small notebook with you to jot down ideas for blogs, stories or essays. Write down fragments of dialogues that you hear. Note down the lyrics of songs that inspire you. In short, maintain a record of each and everything that stimulates you. By doing so will help you write better and give you more ideas to write on.
- Eradicate Distractions and Just WriteWriting and multitasking are two entirely different things. You cannot write well if you do not pay close attention to what you’re writing. Checking your email in between or chatting with friends during writing will get you nowhere. Turn off TV, switch off your cell or sit somewhere alone to write a compelling piece of content. Eliminate interruptions so you can write without any difficulty.
- ExperimentWriting is an art and can works wonders if you’re creative by nature. Never hesitate to experiment with your talent and imaginativeness. Experiment with your style, tone, and your subjects. You can even invent new vocabulary and try out unique approaches to refine your write ups
- Learn to ReviseAlthough revising content is one of the most significant steps of writing, many writers hate doing it. However, the fact is you cannot write flawlessly until unless you proofread perfectly. Make sure to check your content for spelling, grammar and punctuation errors. In addition to that, also examine it for the language structure and tone. Strive for simplicity, for precision, and for coherence.
- Be ConciseOne of the ways to making your content interesting and appealing is to be concise. Try to include the most relevant information and avoid using unnecessarily long and futile sentences. Moreover, it’s also advisable to avoid jargons as it will complicate things and you’ll end up losing your reader’s interest and attention.
- Make Use of Conversational ToneInstead of using formal tone, opt for the conversational style of writing. By doing so will help you grab your reader’s interest. Even sometimes try to break the conventional grammar rules to make your writing even more chatty and conversational. However, don’t try this thing out until unless you’re confident about what you’re doing and why you’re doing it.
- Use Strong SentencesInstead of using long, meaningless sentences, try to include shorter sentences with powerful verbs. You can do this in the revision phase as you won’t be able to omit absurd terms and sentences in your first draft.
- Get FeedbackYou can’t grow in isolation. Avail services of a professional writing company to read your content or you can also ask a friend (preferably someone who loves to write) to give feedback on your stuff. Take criticism positively as it’s an only way to excel and grow. Use this feedback to improve your writing and to make it even more valuable and worthy.
What do you think of this post? Do you’ve some other suggestions to include in this list? Feel free to comment your feedback and let’s start writing!